Registration for returning EBSC members opens Thursday, September 1, 2022 and our season begins on Tuesday, September 13, 2022 - returning members log in to the Members Only section of the website.
See below for NEW members.
We're accepting new members. Interested new members will be offered a Trial Membership to join us – at no cost - for two practice workouts during a two-week period (starting from when you book and attend your first practice) to give everyone a chance to see if EBSC is the best fit. Please note, we expect members to be able to comfortably swim a minimum of 1,500 meters (not all at once:-)) during a one-hour practice and be proficient in at least one other stroke in addition to Freestyle/Front Crawl.
If you would like to give us a try, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTRATION, SCHEDULE AND FEES
Fall 2022 Schedule - starting Tuesday, September 13th 2022
Our practice times have will be similar to our schedule pre-COVID (see below) and we'll be able to accommodate 36 swimmers per practice as before (6 per 25m lane and 12 per 50m lane). Members will be able to book one practice per day through TeamUp as before.
All practices are at the Vancouver Aquatic Center (VAC)
Tuesday and Thursday (Center block, 25 meters, 6 lanes)
6:10pm - 7:10pm - check-in by 6:00pm
7:15pm - 8:15pm - check-in by 7:05pm
Saturday (Long Course, 50 meters, 3 lanes)
5:00 pm - 6:30 pm - check-in by 4:50pm
Sunday Morning (East Block, 21.7 meters, 6 lanes)
9:15am - 10:45am - check-in by 9:05am
Members pay an annual registration fee of $77.00 (a portion of which goes to Swim BC to cover insurance and other benefits) and pre-book and pay for practices in advance through our TeamUp partner.
- Booking for each practice will open 6 days and 12 hours in advance. Practices may be booked until a half hour before start time.
- The cost per practice will be $7.50 (subject to change) and members may purchase 4-practice packs for $30 +GST. *NEW* 30 Day passes will also be available for $75.00 + GST. Similar to our previous monthly passes, except more flexible: 30 Day passes will start anytime and not only at the beginning of the month.
- Per swim practice fees are non-refundable if not cancelled 6 hours prior unless you are feeling ill or are required to self-isolate please email us at: email@example.com
- Members who regularly late-cancel or no-show booked practices (unless due to illness) may have their swimming privileges suspended or revoked
- Fully booked practices will have a waitlist you can join. If there is a cancellation, members on the waitlist will be emailed and given the opportunity to book (on a first come, first serve basis) until the practice closes.
- Do not come to the VAC unless you are confirmed for a practice in TeamUp.
AT THE POOL
Members are recommended not to swim if they feel unwell.
- Swimmers will meet the EBSC check-in volunteer (Beach Ave/Front Entrance weekdays and East doors next to the parking lot on weekends) to be checked-in no than 10 minutes prior to practice.
- Swimmers who are not checked-in will NOT be allowed to attend practice – NO EXCEPTIONS and there will be NO REFUNDS
- Members are not allowed to swim in place of someone who cannot attend their reserved spot, nor show up as a drop-in
- Swimmers are allowed to use change rooms and lockers.
- After changing, swimmers will meet on deck on the North Side (Guard Office side) of the Center (Tue, Thu), at the South Side of the West Block (Sat evening) or South Side of the East block (Sun morning).
- Swimmers are allowed to bring their bags, backpacks and equipment (pull-buoys, paddles, fins and kickboards) on deck to be stored near the wall during practice.
- Arrive no later than 10 minutes before the start of practice and check in with the sign-in person. If you arrive after that cut off, you will not be able to attend that workout. On weeknights, we meet at the main doors to the Aquatic Centre on Beach Avenue and, on weekends, we meet at the east doors next to the parking lot.
- Do your best to choose a lane that matches your swimming ability and speed. If unsure, ask a coach to help you. In short course (25 meters/yards) practices, there are a maximum of 6 swimmers per lane, and 12 per lane in long course (50 meters) practices. Coaches may do some rearranging of swimmers during the warmup if necessary. Please respect the coach’s directions to move you up or down a lane.
- Within each lane, swimmers should arrange themselves from fastest to slowest. This can be different depending on the set, stroke, or distance. In all cases, it is the lead swimmer's duty to keep the pace or rest time set by the coach.
- Allow 5 seconds between swimmers in short course (25 meters/yards) practices. Note that allowing more than 5 seconds in sets over two lengths in a short course pool may result in the lead swimmer overtaking and frustrating the end swimmer. Allow 5 or 10 seconds in long course (50 meters) practices depending on how many swimmers are in the lane and the distance being swum. If there are 8 or more swimmers, it is best to stick to 5 seconds between swimmers to avoid the lead swimmer overtaking and frustrating the end swimmer.
- Swim in a circle within each lane, staying to the side of the black centre line. Alternate lane direction between each lane - one going clockwise, the next counter-clockwise - to avoid arm collisions.
- To pass the swimmer in front of you, touch their toes twice so they know to stop at the end of the length to allow you to pass. Mid-length passing is only allowed in long course (50 meters) practices, otherwise passing must happen at the end of the length where it is safe to do so. Do not tailgate the swimmer in front of you if they are slower, instead follow passing protocols.
- When approaching the end of the length to do a turn, cut into the centre of the lane to ensure you turn mid-wall. Push off on the other side of the lane, maintaining the circle and avoiding a head-on collision with the swimmer behind you. At the end of the swim or set, move over so the swimmer behind you can also touch the wall. This is especially important in timed sets.
- Swim the workout posted on the whiteboard as closely as possible. In some cases, swimmers may opt to modify the stroke (i.e., substitute a different stroke, use/not use equipment) so that they can meet the times posted and/or avoid injury. Swimmers should confer with lanemates about substitutions prior to the set to minimize disruption to others. Swimmers should not be modifying interval distances or times from those posted unless the entire lane is in agreement to do so.
- Equipment, such as paddles and fins, are to be used only when the coach allows. The only exception is a swimmer is advised by a medical professional to use the equipment and the coach has confirmed it can be used.
- Avoid wearing large watches as they can cause injuries to other swimmers. When wearing a watch or swim tracker, please be aware of where your arms are to avoid hitting other swimmers. Jewelry should be left at home
• BC Provincials Champs 2010 & 2016
• MSABC League Trophy 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2019
• Provincial Records (currently held) - 115
• National Records (currently held) - 8